MSc. Microbiology is a two-year postgraduate programme, offered in affiliation to Bangalore University, spread over four semesters.
This course covers various fields of microbiology such as virology, bacteriology, mycology, immunology, microbial genetics, molecular biology, bioinformatics, biostatistics, and agricultural, medical and industrial microbiology. It is a subjective as well as an objective course and consists of theory and practical sessions as a part of the curriculum. Students will have assignments, seminars and tests as a part of their continuous internal assessment. The third and fourth semesters include a project bound by evaluation and viva.
- B.Sc degree of Bangalore University or any other equivalent university equivalent thereto with any Life Science course and a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in all the optional subjects.
- Students who have passed B.Sc Biotechnology / B.Sc Biotechnology (integrated) with a minimum score of 50% marks in aggregate (with biochemistry as one of the papers)
- Students with B.Sc Honours in biotechnology/microbiology/botany/zoology/biology with 50% aggregate score including all optional.
- Other graduates (in the absence of 1, 2 & 3) with 50% marks in aggregate: including those from the fields of agricultural sciences, dairy sciences, horticulture, forestry, fisheries, pharmacy, engineering (biotechnology), Medicine / Dental, Agricultural Engineering, Clinical Lab Techniques.
- Students with chemistry/ biochemistry compulsorily as an optional subject along with at least one of the following optional subjects- microbiology, biotechnology, botany, applied botany, zoology, applied zoology, industrial microbiology, environmental science, genetics, applied genetics, sericulture, home science, life science, biological science.
|1||Bacteriology and Virology|
|3||Microbial Physiology and Biochemistry Techniques|
|5||Bacteriology / Virology and Eukaryotic Microbiology|
|6||Microbial Physiology / Biochemistry and Microbial Techniques|
|5||Bioinformatics (Soft Core)|
|6||Microbial Genetics and Molecular Biology|
|7||Environmental Microbiology and Food Microbiology|
|2||Recombinant DNA Technology|
|4||Applied Microbiology and Immunology|
|5||Medical Microbiology And Immunology|
|6||Recombinant DNA Technology And Bioinformatics|
|4||Agricultural Microbiology Fermentation|
|5||Technology & Microbial Biotechnology|
- Food analyst
- Quality control manager
- Mushroom cultivation
- Cottage industry
- Enzyme industry
- Bakery products
- Fruit processing industries
- Bacteriologists in hospitals
- Medical transcriptionists
- Clinical research
- QA at restaurants and ships
- Dairy industries