Indian Academy College of Nursing is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS) and approved by Karnataka Nursing Council (KNC) & the Indian Nursing Council (INC). Indian Academy School of Nursing is affiliated to and approved by Karnataka State Nursing Council.
The Post Basic B.Sc. Degree in Nursing is a broad based education aimed to build upon the skills and competencies required for a career in Nursing. It is specifically aimed at upgrading of critical thinking skills, competencies and standards required for practice of professional nursing and midwifery as envisaged in National Health Policy. The course is intended to enable the graduates:
- Assume responsibilities as professional, competent nurses and midwives at basic level in providing promotive, preventive, curative, and rehabilitative services.
- Make independent decisions in nursing situations, protect the rights of and facilitate individuals and groups in pursuit of health, function in the hospital, community nursing services, and conduct research studies in the areas of nursing practice. They are taught to assume the role of teacher, supervisor, and manager in clinical/public health settings.
Upon completion of Post-Basic B.Sc. Nursing degree course the graduates will be able to:
- Assess health status, identify nursing needs, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care for patients / clients that contribute to health of individuals, families and communities
- Demonstrate competency in techniques of nursing based on concepts and principles from selected areas of nursing, physical, biological and behavioral sciences.
- Participates as members of health team in the promotive, preventive, curative and restorative health care delivery system of the country.
- Demonstrate skills in communication and interpersonal relationship.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and decision-making abilities in various situations.
- Demonstrate skills in teaching to individuals and groups in community health settings.
- Demonstrate managerial skills in community health settings.
- Practice ethical values in their personal and professional life.
- Participate in research activities and utilize research findings in improving nursing practice.
- Recognise the need for continued learning for their personal and professional development.
Rich, hands-on clinical experience is facilitated, as per the curriculum requirement in some of the leading hospitals in Bangalore, such as:
- P. D. Hinduja Sindhi Hospital
- Sita Batheja Speciality Hospital
- Kidwai Institute of Oncology
- Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health
- Vani Vilas Hospital
- Spandana Institute of Mental Health
- BBMP Maternity Centre
- Urban and Rural Community Health Centres
Candidates seeking admission to B. Sc Nursing course are expected to fulfil the following criteria:
- Pre-University/10+2 with 45% aggregate marks, Pass percentage in all individual papers: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English.
- The candidate should have completed 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission. The maximum age eligible for admission is 35 years.
- The candidate should be medically fit.
Course Duration: 2 years
As per the syllabus prescribed by the university, students are taught the following subjects:
|1||Medical surgical Nursing|
|2||Child Health Nursing|
|3||Obstetrical and Gynaecological Nursing|
|7||Biochemistry and Biophysics|
|8||Nutrition and Dietitics|
|9||English and Computer Science are optional subjects|
|2||Community Health Nursing|
|3||Mental Health Nursing|
|4||Nursing management and Education Services|
- Nurse educator
- Nurse administrator
- Medical assistants
- Nurse practitioners
- Community health nurse
- Nurse researcher
- Speciality nurses