The Indian Academy Centre for Placements Services will assist in finding Internships or Summer Jobs that’s Right for you:
In a competitive job market, a career-related summer job or internship can make the difference in obtaining a full-time position. More employers are using work experiences as screening devices to assess the skills and abilities of prospective employees. Skills learned on the job supplement the skills learned in the classroom. A career-related summer job or internship is likely to give you a competitive edge when you seek your first job.
Summer jobs and internships provide you with opportunities to:
- Gain valuable work experience before graduating.
- Develop skills.
- Evaluate personal likes and dislikes that will enable you to make sound career decisions.
- Develop professional contacts.
- Gain confidence in your abilities.
Build a stronger resume, which will help you later in obtaining full-time employment.
Clarify the following before accepting an offer:
- What is the name of the individual to whom you will be responsible while you are involved in the experience?
- What are the working hours and how flexible will your schedule be with regard to your specific responsibilities?
- Will you be paid and/or receive academic credit? Keep in mind that some students choose volunteer experiences.
- What kinds of day-to-day assignments can you expect to receive from your supervisor and others?
- Are there any special requirements in connection with the work, such as medical examinations, overtime work, or personal expenses?
- Where will you be working throughout your experience?
- Will travel be necessary as part of your responsibilities?